Swim team finishes successful at regional competition

The swimming and diving team had a successful season this year. To be precise, 13 members of the team attended the regional competition at the Mansfield Natatorium on Feb. 1.

“The swim season was pretty cool,” freshman Caiden Clarke said. “A lot of our guys ended up going to regionals.”

Seniors Micah Renner and Will Lemmons, sophomore Josh Ennis, and freshman Seth Beaver achieved personal records in the men’s 4×50 freestyle and took 12th place in the event.

In the men’s 4×50 medley relay, sophomore Geno Tonda, Renner, Lemmons, and Ennis made 15th place.

Lemmons achieved 11th place in the men’s 100 breaststroke.

Sophomore Wenoah Winfrey took first place in Diving, breaking Ryan’s 100m diving record.

“I was excited,” Winfrey said, “but I knew that I had to work hard… harder than I’ve ever had to.”

At the state meet in Austin on Feb. 15, Wenoah made 13th place in the preliminary competition, qualifying for finals the next day. She finished in 15th place at the finals. She’s the first person from Ryan to compete in the diving competition in three years.

“I was so excited,” Winfrey said about her success. “I can’t explain it. It was just overwhelming, and I was super excited.”

Junior Kaylee Walker discussed other areas of improvement for the team.

“We dropped a lot of time on our 400 free relay,” Walker said. “Just seeing how happy they were over that was great.”

Clarke summarized the heart of the season by saying, “I did make a group of friends, and I feel really comfortable around them. Swim team’s a great place to be.”

Though the swim team season may be over, many of the swimmers are now transitioning into water polo season to finish out the spring semester.