Boys’ golf places fifth at District

The boys’ golf team competed at the District tournament on April 8 and 10. The boys’ team consisted of senior Rock Bakken playing first, freshman Cade Cook playing second, junior Christian Perches playing third, freshman Bradyn Markham playing fourth, and freshman Elijah Orozco playing fifth. Both Aiden Wendt and Brooks Melson competed as medalists at the District tournament. In the end, the boys’ team finished the tournament in fifth place behind Northwest, the Colony, Lake Dallas and Denton High.

“Our team was in fourth place after the first day and we were only eleven shots back of second place,” Coach Roddy Adams said. “We didn’t play very well the second day, and Northwest played a tad bit better, so they beat us out for fourth by three shots.”

The boys’ team finished with a score of 754 with Bakken scoring 177, Cook scoring 190, Perches scoring 181, Markham scoring 216, and Orozco scoring 222.

Bakken came very close to going to Regionals in Lubbock as a medalist, Coach Adams said.

“He shot 93 and he missed tying for the regional tournament by two shots,” Coach Adams said. “If he had shot 91 he would have tied, and 90 he would have made the second medalist.”

Bakken ended up finishing in sixth place and Perches finished ninth.

The girls’ golf team, consisting of students Haley Florence, Haley Nicodemus, and Jaina Woode, competed at the district tournament on April 1 and 2. Woode was the only girl to finish and did so with a score of 276.

Coach Jayme Kiraly said Woode made progress this season.

“She’s a new golfer, but she improved from the first round to the second round, which is good,” Coach Kiraly said.

Though neither of the teams will advance to the Regional tournament in Lubbock since only the first and second place teams advance, both coaches say the golf program is expanding, especially on the girls’ side.

“This year we did end with three girls, whereas last year we ended with two girls, but we had overall about five or six different girls play at different times this year,” Coach Adams said.

Coach Kiraly also said the program had grown since last year and had a positive view for the future of the girls’ golf team.

“The girl’s program is in a building phase but the outlook is optimistic moving forward,” Coach Kiraly said. “We have a young team that’s going to get to grow together.”