Breaking News
RHS Student Media

Raider Media

Breaking News
RHS Student Media

Raider Media

Breaking News
RHS Student Media

Raider Media

Pass the Peanut Butter

Varsity football team collects jars of peanut butter to support Denton community

Helping fight hunger one jar of peanut butter at a time, the Raider football program will be collecting peanut butter donations until Monday, August 28 following the Aug. 24 varsity Peanut Butter Bowl in Belton. 

The upcoming match between the Raiders and the New Braunfels Unicorns is the first Peanut Butter Bowl game to come to North Texas, sponsored by a cause that began in 2016 with two coaches. It started in San Antonio with one fundraising game that collected peanut butter and monetary donations to serve an organization feeding food-insecure children in the area. Since then, it has expanded to more than ten games a year and over 100,000 donated jars of peanut butter. 

“We are already playing in the game, so we wanted to find a way to make [the players] give back,” defensive coordinator, Coach De La Torre said. “We always try to have a serving mentality for our players and this was an easy way for us.”

Students are encouraged to bring donations of peanut butter to the bin in the front office or the bin in the football fieldhouse. The peanut butter will be donated to Denton Community Food Center. Typically, volunteers spend their own money buying peanut butter for their twice-a-week food drive, but with the pairing of the football team, they will have less to purchase.  

“It felt good to know that we were helping somebody work for something that they really wanted, that really mattered to them,” senior Ella Bynane said. “I wanted to donate because it was available to us. There was an open opportunity that we were told about beforehand so we knew that we could donate.”

There are many other organizations on campus that are also accepting and distributing food to those in need. Mrs. Holl, our campus social worker, shared ways students can get involved in their community through donating. 

“I would suggest students first look at organizations they already participate in,” Mrs. Holl said. “Many clubs and groups do some type of community service, like collecting school supplies, hosting a food drive, and volunteering at local non-profits. Listening to the announcements and reading the posters in the hallway are good ways to see what groups are collecting items so you can contribute too! If your organization isn’t planning something, take the initiative and suggest a service project at your next meeting.”

Some classes and clubs offer service projects built in, such as Mrs. Lahart’s Family and Community Service class, Student Council, Key Club, and others. Another way students can give back is through Communities in Schools, an organization that Denton ISD partners with to provide additional support to students and families, led by Mr. Aje in room 131. 

“What people usually don’t know is that most of our kids are probably recipients of the donations,” Coach De La Torre said. “It’s always those that need the most, give back the most.”

LovePacs and Helping Hearts for Little Hands are two additional groups that bring food and snacks to the campus for students to have or families to take home. If you are in need of such services, visit Mrs. Holl in room 112B. 

“One of the core values in the field of social work is commitment to service,” Mrs. Holl said. “We are driven to serve people in need. The needs may change over time, but people will always need love and support. Volunteering and staying active in your community helps ensure that your friends and neighbors will be taken care of in a crisis. And even if you don’t have time or extra resources to share, you can still help your community with a kind word and generous spirit. That’s the Raider way!”

Peanut butter donations can be dropped off in the main office or football field house until Aug. 24, or donate online at the Peanut Butter Bowl website. https://peanutbutterbowl.com/online-donation-form/